Success is probably different for every person. As it should be. You can be a successful member of society. You can be a successful parent. You can be a successful quilter. You can be a successful baseball player. Every field, hobby, or role in life offers success. Today, we’re here to talk about what makes you successful in business. Opterre coaches business consultants to success. Read what has helped us and all of our clients find success in their businesses.
THE KEYS TO SUCCESS
- Believe in yourself. You will never succeed if you don’t believe in yourself. And this is true belief. The most successful business people know they will be successful no matter the highs and lows. It’s their guiding light. And faith in yourself should be your brightest light.
- Hold to morals and values. There are times in every business career where you’ll be faced with a moral dilemma; where you’ll be tempted to skirt or bend the rules; where you may even cross over the illegal line and hope you don’t get caught. Ask yourself one question in these situations: Can you live with yourself if you do it? Opterre believes the easy way is never worth it. Guilt is one of the worst emotions to feel and, even worse, to carry around.
- Hold yourself to a higher standard than those around you. This one goes hand-in-hand with having morals and values. This is a throwback to the ubiquitous question: Just because someone jumped off a cliff, does that mean you have to? Some people just view their job as that: a job. They do the bare minimum to keep their job and that’s it. Top business consultants who have wild success hold themselves to the highest standards. They go above and beyond what is asked of them at work. They stay late. They arrive early. They do the projects no one else wants to do. They go to the locations no one else wants to do. They do the grunt work. And in the end, you will be remembered, and you will be rewarded–even if it’s just in your own heart.
- Think outside the box. Business consultants are whizzes at thinking outside the box. See things from different angles no one else can. Consider ideas that would not occur to others or that seem crazy.
- Follow your gut as much as your heart. If the decision does not feel right, it’s not. If the decision pains your heart, it’s not the right decision. Business consultants walk a fine line of pulling the trigger when it needs to be pulled, but also putting the safety on when you need to. Your emotions play into this big time. Don’t let emotions play into your decisions, but listen to them and take them into consideration.
- Take risks. This is the fun part anyways. Life is too short to play it safe. Live with no regrets, and your success will soar.
- Celebrate your successes. As a business consultant, you likely have very high standards of success. You need to celebrate even if you don’t meet that high standard you set for yourself. Reward yourself for the little things, and the big things will come.
- Forget the failures. This is not the same as not learning from your failures. You’ll never be a successful business consultant if you don’t learn from your mistakes. However, dwelling on mistakes will only pull you lower into the hole you’ll have to climb out of. Put failures where they belong: in the past. Then move on to the next best thing in your life. Turn that failure into the energy to climb the mountain ahead.
- Put yourself and family first. If you are to be successful in business, you need to be successful in two other areas: self and family. Being successful with yourself is taking care of yourself: mentally, emotionally, spiritually, and physically. Make time to eat healthy, exercise, read novels, and clear the mind to be lucid. If your child has a soccer game and the phone rings, don’t answer it. It wasn’t that long ago that cell phones didn’t control us. Go back to that. Engage with your kids before they are no longer around to engage in.
- Every day is a new day. Embrace it and begin anew.
Opterre knows success. We coach and consult business consultants to success. We’ve had our share of success, and our share of failures. We take care of ourselves and our families. We go on vacation. We forget about the world for a bit. After all, the world keeps turning whether we’re here or not. It always has, and it always will. Make the most of this world. Engage. Take risks. Play. Have fun. Enjoy. Forget the past. Live in the present. Plan for the future. Contact Opterre today to learn more!