You’ve decided! You’re going into business for yourself! You’re dreaming of all the perks: setting your own hours, taking a vacation when you want to take a vacation, leaving in the middle of the day to see your daughter’s play at school, and running to get that much needed mid-morning coffee.
When all the hubbub dies down, you’re suddenly faced with reality. There are papers to incorporate, bank accounts to open, an accountant to find, employees to hire, an office space to lease, office equipment such as a computer, advertising and marketing to get under control, and the list goes on.
As a premier business consultant to business professionals looking to start their own consulting business, Opterre understands the challenges a start-up business faces. Our world-class business consulting services entail helping you start up your business from day one. Contact us today if you’re in need of a place to start.
Here are some quick tips when starting a business, whether it’s a consulting business or a retail establishment, or any other kind of business.
TIPS FOR STARTING A BUSINESS
- Be clear on what your business is, what it does, who it serves, and its mission. Be able to state this in 10 seconds or less. You’ll need a guiding light and your mission statement and value propositions will be it.
- Create a business plan. Step 2 in defining your business is to create a business plan. Start by asking yourself some questions: What do you hope to accomplish with your business? What niche are you filling that’s missing? What product and/or service do you offer that others don’t? How much is this product and/or service worth?
- Hire a business coach/consultant. Opterre thrives by helping others succeed. We exist for you and would love to be your sounding board for your business and guide you towards your goals. A dedicated and knowledgeable business coach or business consultant is vital to the success of your business if you’re business is to succeed.
- Be confident in your success. You’re going to face hard times, especially in the beginning. There will be days when you question everything you do. These days may be more frequent than others. Believe in yourself is one of the most important things you can do to succeed. Stay positive and eliminate excuses. Remember if starting a business was easy, everyone would be doing it.
- Network. Outside of an amazing business coach, you’ll need more support. No business succeeds alone. Research the business organizations of your market and join their newsletter and join their monthly meetings. Attend conferences and workshops that cater to small-business needs. Look for networking opportunities everywhere you go.
- Invest in marketing. In the beginning, this could be as little as business cards. In today’s digital world, you’re going to need a website if you’re to succeed. Social media as well is a powerful tool you’ll need to investigate and engage in in order to grow. You need to get the word out to the world that you exist. So shout it out!
- Learn and grow from your mistakes. Like in every new task we attempt from learning to water ski to putting together a puzzle, mistakes will happen. Accept them. Learn from them. Move on. Soon enough you’ll find your rhythm, and the mistakes will soon become infrequent.
- Get all your i’s dotted and your t’s crossed. By this I mean do your due diligence and research the laws to incorporate your business. This of course will depend on what kind of business you are, and laws do vary by state. Get on the Internet and get the paperwork going for incorporating you if your a sole proprietor or others if you’re a partnership or corporation.
- Separate your finances. Keep your business expenses separate from your personal expenses. Keep all funds in the business’ name. This is important especially if you don’t want a visit from the IRS. Either consult an accountant or hire one from the get-go. Money is one thing you’re definitely going to have to have in order to beat the odds and succeed as a small business or consulting service.
- Never cease learning, growing, and having fun! Don’t forget your passion, your mission, and your vision. Remember the reason you started this business in the first place, and let that be your guiding light. And when those successes start rolling in, the glow you’ll feel will be indescribable and will erase all the heartaches along the way.
Opterre recognizes the particular challenges small business and sole proprietors face. Starting a business is thrilling, but it’s definitely an uphill battle to succeed. As your business coach and business consultant, Opterre promises to put your needs first, to help you lay out your plan for success, and to mentor you every step of the way. We’ll hold you accountable to your goals, give you new goals to work towards, and help your network grow. Small businesses are the heart and soul of this country, and Opterre is honored to be a small part of that success.
At Opterre, we’ll equip you with the tools you need to start your business, manage your business, grow your business, and watch your business bloom. We’re available to bounce ideas off, to strategize your next move, to advise on your next client, and to encourage you when you’re feeling the heat. Contact us today for all your business consulting needs!