Have you been told recently you’re having a midlife crisis? Did your face automatically turn into a scowl?
A crisis is a time of intense difficulty, trouble, or danger. You don’t feel any of those feelings; you do, however, feel a change coming.
Humans grow and change and as such, so do our talents, our goals, our dreams, our desires, and our skills. When we master something we get bored. We need a new challenge. It’s not a midlife crisis. It’s a midlife challenge.
As a business consultant, you’ve probably helped many clients pivot (or shift business models) more than once. You’re not starting over. You’re just trying a new strategy. Opterre, a firm that helps start-up business consultants get started and top business consultants grow their business, believes most of us experience this transition phase in our lives as well.
Oftentimes as humans, we’re in the midst of change. That’s a fact of life. Your career can be analogous to your life’s stages: born, grow up, go to school, get your education, get a job, buy a house, get married, have kids, the kids grow, the kids leave, and the house is yours again. Your career is the same: it’s born (when you get your first job). You learn valuable business skills (get an education). Your job changes (you get promoted). You buy a house, get married, and have kids (you grow within your company or within your chosen industry). The kids grow and change (this is probably what stage you are in: you grow and change). The house is yours again (you’re back to square one: what do I do next?)
So how do you manage change? And what does that look like?
TIPS TO ASK YOURSELF IF YOU’RE IN THE MIDST OF A CAREER PIVOT
- Get clear on the why. Why do you need a change?
- Get clear on the what. What do you need to change to?
- Get clear on the how. Is it the company? Is it a particular client? Is it the niche you find yourself in and you want to be more general? Or do you need a complete change?
- Get clear on the when. This can be the hardest to find clarity. So many of us get comfortable and are afraid to pull the trigger, especially when finances are involved. We get weighed down by our obligations. Remember, you only live life once. Don’t be afraid to step out of your comfort zone.
- Make a plan. As business consultants, you probably have most of your day planned. So why not plan your career pivot as well? Put down in writing action steps you need to take and make these as concrete and as detailed as possible.
Like a plant that gets too much sun and droops, you may be experiencing a drooping phase. But as soon as the sun is removed and you’re placed in the right environment, your leaves perk up and you start to bloom again.
Like plants, humans were created to learn and grow our entire lives. Otherwise, we stagnate, leading to the midlife crisis debate that more often than not is in truth a midlife challenge.
Opterre strives to make your business consultant career clear. We’ll help you in a career pivot by asking you questions, listening to your answers, investigating other avenues, strategizing changes, giving advice, testing solutions, and creating new business plans if need be. We’ll brainstorm with you and coach you through the changes. Opterre’s mission is to ensure your success as a business consultant or independent consultant. Contact us today for a free consultation!