Did you dread the question when you were a kid, “What do you want to be when you grow up?” Most kids list a profession that their hero is a part of such as a professional athlete, a superhero, a doctor, or an astronaut. Surprisingly, many kids admitted they didn’t know what they wanted to be when they grew up.
In an ideal world, you’d know what you wanted to do as a career when you were in elementary school. You’re work steadily towards that education path. You’d graduate from high school, move on to college, and land a job at the entry-level of your profession. You’d follow a delineated career path with no job changes unless you decided to change and by the time you’re in your 40s, you’d have achieved your goal.
Well, as you know, we don’t like in an ideal world, and more often than not most of us have not achieved our career goals. However, there are some things we can do to get on the right path. Here’s Opterre’s top signs you need a career change:
TOP 5 SIGNS YOU NEED A CAREER CHANGE
- You hate your job. Yes, hate is a strong word, but if you dread your job more than 50 percent of the time, you need to start looking for a new job. Life is too short to spend it doing something you don’t enjoy. Sure, you have to keep your day job to pay the bills, but that doesn’t mean you have to be idle.
- Lack of growth. You’ve reached a place in your company or organization where there is no upward mobility. You may have even been told this by your boss. When your job is what it is and you don’t enjoy the work, it’s time for a change.
- Your passion and heart are taking a hit. You’re just showing up to do a “job”. Your creativity is zapped. You have no initiative. Your day drags. If you’re just going through the motions, you need a change.
- You’re not appreciated. Does your work make you feel like just a number? Do you feel like if you quit, your company will have you replaced the next day?
- You can’t stop the nagging voice. We all have this voice. The voice that tells us something is not right. Often we don’t know why we feel off or what that something is, but it won’t quiet down. If this is the case, you need a change. Don’t ignore the voice. That’s a mistake you don’t want to have to live with.
Most of us have had many jobs and many careers in our lives. It often seems like we’re on a “trial-and-error” approach to our jobs since when we try one job and determine it’s not for us, we move on. But we’re learning what works for us and what doesn’t.
Too many of us make the mistake of staying in a career or a job for too long, hoping it will improve or the voice will quit or our boss will change or a myriad of other excuses we tell ourselves. In reality, we’re staying because it’s easy. We know the job. We’re comfortable in the job. We’re afraid if we leave it, the grass won’t be greener on the other side.
Opterre is here to tell you the grass is greener. When you make the leap to open up your own consulting business and put your knowledge to use and help others in your field grow and succeed, the potential is endless. You’ll find meaning in your career. With meaning, you’ll find the passion you were lacking. And the best part of all: you’ll be helping others grow and succeed and be successful. There’s no greater feeling than making an impact in someone else’s life. It’s the reason we all should be working. Period.
Opterre is a top-notch business consulting business. We’re here to support the business professionals who want to start leveraging their expertise in their field and helping others. As a business coach, Opterre is here to help you navigate the unknowns before you, to connect you with others who are in your field, and to prop you up when you fall. Opterre has got your back at every turn. Don’t waste one more precious moment doing something that doesn’t make your heart sing. Contact Opterre today to begin a new career!